Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Fucking Ordeal For This Shit...

Hey, guess what?  The fucking Gameboy Color cartridges can't hold saves after a certain number of years.

Why?

Well, back in the day, when Gameboy games were in cartridges and not in little flash things, Nintendo used small lithium batteries to power the save functions for the game as opposed to using flash memory, which is the current standard.

What's the problem with that?

I'll fucking TELL YOU! The Gameboy Color games like Pokemon Silver, Gold, and Platinum have a functioning clock inside the game so that gameplay is effected by what time of day, what day, and what time of year you happen to be playing.  How the cartridge handles that clock is the same way a watch powers itself...

...lithium battery.

You mean there's another lithium battery inside the cartridge just for the clock?

Fucking NOPE! One battery for two functions.  Therefore, if you have a saved game, that battery is draining twice as fast: half to maintain the save, and half to power the fucking clock.

Oh no, does that mean you have to skip over Generation-II in your blog?

SHUT THE FUCK UP! I'm a champ! I can fix this shit!

...someone fetch me the internet and a credit card!


I followed these instructions pretty much verbatim.  I even bought the fucking security bit to get out the little screw.  Some people recommended using tweezers or melting an old pen and letting the melted plastic form in the shape of the screw.  I was not about to risk melting plastic all over my Pokemon Silver or Pokemon Gold, so I used a test-dummy:


After almost burning my legs through my pants and wasting like three pens, I decided that the melted pen idea was fucking stupid.  Ditto for the tweezers, because I don't know about you, but tweezer have a lot of grab-and-pull strength, but no fucking twisting capabilities.  So fuck that too.

I attacked my Pokemon Silver version with the security bit, a pocket knife, a small screwdriver, and a roll of electrical tape, and I think I got this thing working.


So get ready, shit-heads...'cause here comes the Sequel in Silver! Booyah!


1 comment: