Monday, November 26, 2012

You Cheeky Little Shit!

So, I was standing there, staring at the stairway up to the new Elite Four, eager to move forward with my Pokemon life, when I realized that I still had business that would keep me in Johto.  I can't just up and leave for the Elite Four and Kanto when my job is...only one-third done...


It's a really innovating, intriguing, and aggravating system they implemented in Generation-II with the legendary beasts/dogs.  "Oh, you want legendary Pokemon? Go ahead and find them.  Oh, by the way...they move faster than you can through the map, flee whenever they can, and hate Ultra Balls."

The only way to guarantee that you can catch one of these bad boys is by using the Master Ball.  That's how I landed Entei.  You should know that; I JUST FUCKING TALKED ABOUT IT.

But here's the pro-tip version on how to find the dogs:

1) Buy a fuck-ton of Max Repels
2) Fly to New Bark Town
3) Use the Max Repel right outside the first patch of tall grass
4) Run through the entire Johto map, hitting every patch of grass along the way, refreshing your repel as you go

Eventually, you WILL run into one of them.  There are only so many places they could be...


Route 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 42, 43, 44, 45, and 46 are the only places where they will appear...so when you're starting off, you have a 18.75% chance of randomly encountering one on any route (excluding sea routes, caves, and forests).  It doesn't even matter that their positions change every time you enter a new route or town because the probability won't change.  However, here's the better tactic than running around the entirety of Johto: just follow this path...

Rt. 29 to Rt. 30, Rt. 30 to Rt. 31, Rt. 31 to Rt. 32, Fly to Goldenrod, Goldenrod to Rt. 35, Rt. 35 to Rt. 36 West, Rt. 36 West to Rt. 37, Rt. 37 to Rt. 36 East, Rt. 36 East to Rt. 32, then just loop that circle until you find one.  Your probability of finding one in that circle is 37.5% and it's not only the easiest path to navigate, but it's also the most renewable way to check for the beasts.  Rt. 45 and Rt. 46 can only be travelled going south, Rt. 29 and Rt. 30 are too railroaded to hunt once you do find them (I'll explain the hunt soon), and the northern roads are good during the hunt, but terrible during the scout because there are too many obstacles that impede you.

Oddly, I had a "sense" of where I would find Entei; for some reason, I knew I would find him by the daycare...and specifically, in the small square of grass to the northeast of the path.  And believe it or not, I had a feeling where I would find the next one...Route 37.


Oh shit, we got the moneymaker right here! I was leading with Kadabra because I knew he'd pack a solid punch, but not strong enough to kill him.  Psybeam took him down to a little over half, meaning if I found him again and did the same attack, it would bring him very deeply into the red without knocking him out.  Psybeam hit, then Suicune ran.

Then...the three-hour hunt began.


Because once you find one, the hunt begins.  This is how the hunt is done professionally:

1) Buy 10 Max Repels and as many Pokeballs as you need to be comfortable

As you experienced during the locating portion of this ordeal, the legendary beasts/dogs do not obey the stay-the-fuck-away properties of the Max Repel and WILL find you for a fight.  Max Repels ward off weak Pokemon for 250 steps, which is a good thing.  I recommend using Ultra Balls or Fast Balls when capturing them.  Use a Fast Ball if you decide to paralyze the beast and then throw the ball in the first round of combat; they are four times more likely to catch Entei or Raikou if used at that time.  Since they take a while to make, I recommend using Ultra Balls and a Pokemon equipped with the Quick Claw who knows a move that causes sleep.  They can't run away if they're asleep and it give you a few more chances to catch them.

2) Find a crossroads and camp there

I liked using Route 37 as my base because I could access Rt. 36, Rt. 35, Rt. 32, Rt. 38, and Rt. 42 very quickly, which helped me out greatly during the tracking phase.

3) Check the Pokedex entries for the beast you just saw under "Area" regularly, then go back and forth between routes until they are in the same place you are

That cheeky piece of shit Suicune liked to jump back and forth between neighboring routes so he'd be just BARELY inaccessible.  It felt like this shit:


DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT SHIT WAS FOR THREE GODDAMN HOURS!?!?!?!??!

In the end it was all up to Jynx and Haunter.  Jynx moved in first with the Quick Claw held and using Lovely Kiss, then Haunter would move in with Lick to delicately lower his health, and had Mean Look and Hypnosis to keep him there if he wakes up.

It took...something like...60 Ultra Balls.  At one point, I just figured it would be easier to save after a certain amount of progress was made in whittling down Suicune's health, then if I ran out of Ultra Balls, I'd just reload the save and try again.

Three...fucking...hours...

But I got him! I finally got--!


Oh.  Oh, you're here, too.  Well, let's just start this whole thing over again--

Oh.  Oh, I caught you on our first encounter? Really? Shit Raikou, get it together...

Shouldn't I be celebrating?


YEAH I SHOULD BE! I CAUGHT THEM ALL! I CAUGHT TH--!


They...don't...look...as impressive in sprites.

Elite Four time, I guess.

Lugia, lvl 41
Entei, lvl 40
Feraligatr, lvl 40
Ampharos, lvl 40
Jynx, lvl 40
Kadabra, lvl 40

Pokedex: 66, Badges: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment